Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Nashville Bug

I love Nashville. For every jaded music industry person you'll meet here, you'll also find 3 starry-eyed musicians moving to Nashville to pursue their dreams.

I wonder how many struggling musicians have moved to Nashville over the years in hopes of having a career in music. What's the percent that have succeeded? How many went home empty-handed? And what is success anyway?

It's sad that so many don't make it, but does it really matter? Isn't the journey itself more important than the destination? What a great privilege to look back on your life when you're 75 and be able to say 'at least I gave it a shot, and had an adventure.'

Today I spoke with a girl who recently moved to Nashville with her musician husband, and she reflected on how amazing it is that no one blinks an eye here when she says she's married to a musician. She also said there's inspiration everywhere in Nashville; and I have to agree.

I have a friend who also works in the industry, and he expressed his frustration
with all the musicians trying to make it in this Nashville. Yes, I too get sick of people trying to pawn their demo's off on me when I say I work at a record label. But there's still something intriguing about someone pursuing their dreams. I applaud those people who won't take no for an answer (within reason, of course...we all have our limits.)

So all you musicians out there who are trying to 'make it big': keep plugging away. Just don't call me at the office...

No comments:

Post a Comment