Thursday, July 22, 2010

Off We Go

Last weekend I made the trek up to Michigan for the third time this summer. This time was in a van filled with my 15 year old sister, my 10 year old brother, and my mom.

4:03 am
My day started when I awoke to my normally quiet neighbors singing. Loudly and drunkenly. Along to a CD of Spanish music. Is that the correct genre name? Now the singing did irritate me, but what irritated me more was the fact that their dog, Lucky, who barks at me through the fence anytime I take out the trash or start the grill, seemed to actually like the singing and sat quietly watching.

4:03-4:59 am
I sit awake listening to the singing with a piercing headache. And watching Josh sleep soundly.

5:00 am
Josh and Brittney wake up well rested and ready to go. I curse at both of them quietly. Josh thinks the neighbors tried out for American Idol this week and were celebrating. Brittney thinks it's really weird that someone would get up in the middle of the night to sit outside and sing.

5:45 am
We leave the house just as the amigos next door go to sleep for the night.

7:00 am
After dropping Josh at the airport, driving to Lebanon, and a stop at McDonald's, we're finally officially on our way. Mom's driving, I'm eating.

7:08 am
The minute I'm done eating, mom yanks the car to the side of the road so we can switch drivers. I did not see this coming.

7:32 am
Have to stop for a cow in the road. Then a squirrel. Then I ran into a butterfly.

8:45 am
2nd McDonald's stop for a bathroom break. Brittney gets a large drink. Mom gets a large coffee. I glare at them.

9:17 am
3rd McDonald's. When we're back in the car, I ask that we make it our personal goal to not stop until at least 10:30.

10:43 am
Goal met! And slightly succeeded, but let's not get too excited. Bathroom break and gas fill up.

12:02 pm
Lunch stop. We hit McDonald's for the 4th time, AND Burger King. Highlights: I have to show Brittney how to get in the restaurant. Guy at McDonald's gives my change to someone else.

12:23 pm
I get flipped off after honking at a lady that pulled out in front of me. Brittney is outraged. I laugh.

1:34 pm
Brittney tries to tell me how I can improve myself. Just as we're passing a prison and see this sign:



I stop the car and try to drop her off, but mom forces me to keep driving.
We stop at Dairy Queen and she buys me ice cream. All is forgiven.

And other than mom denying me a 5th stop at McDonald's, and David asking if he can drive, and then chanting 'kick Ashy's butt, kick Ashy's butt' after I tell him no, the rest of the drive was uneventful and we arrived around 5 pm.

The rest of the weekend was filled with lots of fun with family: Birthday party for my cousin, family reunion, and family girls' night at the Three Rivers hot spot...Apple Bee's!

I'm flying next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment