Monday, June 17, 2013

Surprise Trip to Denver

Last week, Josh had to go on a work trip to Denver to help with a video shoot at a Hillsong United concert, really last minute. Like, found out Monday that he had to leave Wednesday. So Charlie and I ended up going along, since Josh has been gone for work so much lately! It's nice when you're not working and can pick up and go at the drop of a hat!

This was Charlie's 3rd time flying in his short 8 month life! I never flew until I turned 18! Lucky kid. He loves flying. Actually, he loves people watching, and new environments, so flying is perfect.


Ready to fly!


Exhausted from the flying excitement. He fell asleep sitting up in his stroller, before I laid him back. Poor kid. 

Josh's brother is working on the tour, so we didn't tell him Charlie and I were coming along and surprised him Wednesday night. We found a really cool mountain to drive up (one of the highest in the state I think) to see the scenery. If we had made it to the top, I think the elevation was 14,000 ft. Unfortuantely, at about 10,000 feet, I noticed Charlie's lips and hands were turning purple! Super scary. He seemed perfectly happy, but didn't look so good. We booked it back down and he was fine. 


Josh and Paul on the mouton (before we noticed Charlie's lips)

The next day, Josh had to be at the venue early in the morning, so Char and I killed some time around downtown Denver. We really just did a driving tour, then ate at Chipotle before going to the venue to hang out for the afternoon. 


My lunch buddy

The concert was at Red Rocks. Oh. My. Gosh. This place was unreal. Seriously. If you live the in mountains, it is probably no big deal, but it almost looked fake, it was so gorgeous. It looked like a painting! The pictures don't do it a bit of justice. I can't even describe it. 




We hung out all afternoon in the production office, just killing time. Charlie got his own special pass for the concert (even though he didn't attend). 


He also got his first real owie. He has been leaning forward from sitting, attempting to crawl, and he face planted onto the carpet. I'm pretty sure there's cement under that carpet. He bonked his head pretty good! You could see the red bump for the rest of the day. 


That night, we found a babysitter through a friend that used to live there, and had her come stay at the hotel with Charlie so I could go to the show. It was the first time we've hired a babysitter (other than daycare). She made some really easy money. I put him to bed, and she had to sit there and watch cable. Nice gig. :)

It was so great to go to the show without a baby in tow! Josh and I had a date night (sort of!)

The next day, we had just a few hours in the morning before we had to head back to the airport, so I talked Josh into going over to Columbine High School. I just wanted to see the place where such a huge event from my childhood took place. I remember it was one of the first huge news events that really impacted me. I was in eighth grade when the terrible shooting took place. We talked about it in class for weeks. I read so much about it. 

I'm glad we went. There's a gorgeous, serene memorial in a public park right next to the school. It was surreal to try and picture the events of that day on that site. I can't even imagine. It was interesting to have my own child there, and think about the parents who lost children that horrible day. So, so sad. But glad we were able to go pay tribute before we left. 

1 comment:

  1. Red Rock looks amazing! I've always wanted to visit Colorado, it looks just amazing.
    First of many bumps, these little boys are daredevils!!

    ReplyDelete