Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Life Lately

I can't believe it's been a week since my last post. It's been an absolute blur. Last Thursday was my last day at work. Friday was spent running up to Nashville to drop off a car, and all our fragile items, and driving back to Birmingham in time to pick Char up from his last day at daycare.

Charlie, not quite ready to get up for his last day:

Saturday was spent packing up the Birmingham house with a great group of folks, whom we will miss dearly. We got off on the wrong foot when the truck we rented broke the day before. They gave us two smaller trucks instead. Then we got to Budget to pick them up, and they told us they ran out of dolly's. Then one of the truck's didn't start. We had to drive 20 minutes away to pick up a different one. Luckily, after that, things settled down. If things can slow down when you're moving.

We were loaded up, the house was clean, and we were on the road to Nashville by 2 pm. I consider that a win. I took Char in the car, Josh took Bessie in one of the trucks, and my bro in law drove the 2nd truck. Somehow, it always takes me an extra hour when I have Char. He does not like that drive. We went out to dinner when we arrived, and we were a collective hot mess. Strictly functional; not social.

Charlie got up a lot that first night, which I guess is to be expected in a new place. His world just got wrecked. Mine did too, each time he got up!

Sunday, we were again completely blown away by all of the sweet people that came to help us load everything in to our new place. It's so great to know that after being gone, we still have a great, strong community that welcomes us back.

We basically locked my mom in one of the bedrooms with the dog and baby while we unloaded.
We had a steady stream of people coming and going from about 12 pm - 5 pm. They got us nearly unpacked, which we did NOT expect. Amazing. Somehow, the house is still a wreck, but I figure that's acceptable for at least a week after moving.

Bessie, trying to survive all the change. It's been rough on her. Poor thing.

Charlie got up 8 times Sunday night. Eight. Times. I gave up on life a little bit Monday. I slept in the Target parking lot for 15 minutes while he slept. Power nap.

All that to say, things have been crazy. Thursday we head up to Michigan to see my little sis graduate high school, and attend my 10 year high school reunion. After all that jazz, I'll be back to a 'normal' schedule and post more!!


  1. Glad y'all are surviving and made the trip safely!

  2. Nothing wrong with taking a power nap - sometimes you HAVE to!

    I can't believe the mess you had to deal with prior to moving. I hope they compensated you for all the issues!! So glad things are starting to settle down. I'm praying Charlie boy goes back to a normal sleeping pattern, mostly for your sanity! Poor girl.